Wednesday, March 23, 2011

So many new things...so little time

I feel that lately I want to do EVERYTHING. But then I start researching all the new activities/things I want to try and get overwhelmed. Here are some examples:

Gardening-I would love to have produce in our backyard. Tomatoes, strawberries, squash, zucchini, peas, basil, parsley, etc. But I start researching it and realize that the soil in Colorado is horrible for this and we would need to build planters with all new soil. I also originally thought we would build these in the dog runs that the previous owners built because they would be closed off from the dogs, hannah and wildlife. Then I realized that part of the yard gets zero sun-zero, zip, zilch, nada! So, Jesse and I realize we need to get working on building this "new soil, fully enclosed, in-the-sun" garden but our next 4 weekends are already really busy with my work or other plans. So, the garden is on hold for now.



Cloth diapers-after my previous post  Reduce, Reuse, Recycle I started talking to a friend who had read my blog and she got me really intrigued. I've since been doing a lot of research and talking to several friends who do CD'ing. So, I had decided I really wanted to do this. But, my usual downfall, the more I read the more overwhelmed I get. There are so many options, so many different ways to launder, so many questions, and upfront, so much money (though in the long run apparently its way cheaper). Just google "cloth diapers" and you'll see how much info there is-too much!



Sewing-I've wanted to learn to sew for awhile. I want new curtains for Hannah's room. A friend had to make me a baby sling because I didn't know how. I'd love to be able to hem my own uniforms. When I see little projects that others make as baby gifts or homemade gifts, I get jealous. I looked into classes at our local rec center and they are affordable but you have to bring your own sewing machine. I don't want to purchase a machine till I know what functions and different options I would want on a machine and till I know if I'm any good and will stick with it. I looked into JoAnns fabric and hobby lobby and they too want you to bring your machine. I'm looking for a BEGINNER class-as in, never done it before and don't own a machine.



There are some new things I have done lately though: we started Hannah's swim classes. They are going great though I don't know that she is learning anything. We sing and practice jumping into the water and kicking her legs and "scooping" the water with her hands. But these are all things that she did any time she was in the water. But she loves the class! Though she is freezing the whole time. Poor girl-her lip quivers the entire 25 minute class! I think the best part is when we get up and she gets all bundled up in a towel and finally warms up again. I will try to take some pics and get them on here. So, this is one item on my "To Do" list that I can cross off!

Also, all last semester I wanted to join a "Moms of Young Children" bible study at my church and this year I got our routine and act together enough to do it. It started Jan 11th and I haven't missed a class yet! That, in and of itself, is quite an accomplishment. Plus we have 5 days a week of homework that I am staying mostly caught up on. I have really enjoyed this time to connect with other moms in the same stage as I am. So, CHECK, another item off the list!

Finally, in January, a friend asked me to watch her daughter 3 days a week while she and her husband worked. At first, getting out of the house was a production. Getting both girls fed, played with, napped and maintaining a calm household was almost impossible. But now, 2 months later, I feel like I really have the hang of it. Though this leads to another item on the "To Do" List. Find a gently used double stroller thats affordable so this spring/summer we can go to the park and zoo and take walks. I am borrowing one tomorrow to see if I like it and taking the girls to the zoo on Friday with some of the moms from my bible study. It'll be our first big outing-me and two little girls!

When I asked Jesse for help with this blog and asked "what are things I have accomplished?" He quickly replied "Raising a daughter." Oh yeah! Thats the biggest, most important item on my "To Do" list. The only one God has specifically assigned to me to do. So, if I never learn to sew, garden or use cloth diapers, I will continue to raise Hannah the best I can!

Also, I wouldn't want to leave out that my role as wife and supporter to my husband is just as important as my role as mom. So many hats we women wear! Phew! But I love my life!

7 comments:

  1. Slsclayburn@sbcglobal.netMarch 24, 2011 at 3:40 PM

    Try a Singer Sewing Machine store. They used to give classes, and you use their machines.
    MIL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about not commenting before.
    MIL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the blog and enjoy reading it. I check it every day to see if there is something new even thought I am on the email list. In regard to new hobbies...why don't you just pick one and go with it. Don't spend too much time "researching it" you can "research" yourself out of almost anything. Think of one you would like the best, get the needed materials, and start. You can make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To answer the comment/question you left me: I don't recall ever sitting down and learning how to sew as a structured task. My mom had a sewing machine and would make our Halloween costumes and let me dabble with it a few times. I kind of just picked things up here and there, then she gave me my own machine for Christmas a few years ago (I love my machine, so if you do ever decide to get one, I can recommend it! There's a newer model of it out now, which I'm sure is even better than mine, too.) I am no seamstress by any stretch. I have the hardest time sewing a straight line! :-) But I enjoy it and pick up a new trick every time I attempt a project.

    A few moms at our church use cloth diapers. I don't mind changing them at their houses where there is a specific place to put the soiled insert, but I don't enjoy changing them at church or out and about. It's kind of awkward to have to bundle it up and put it in the diaper bag. But the one you have pictured above sure is cute! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. I've been wanting to comment on your posts but just like you said, "so little time." This post really spoke to me. I find myself wanting to do too much, then Omar reminds me that the girls are my priority and the work they involve is plenty!

    I also use cloth diapers and started with Elena but I am not an environmentalist by any means. Initially I started in order to save money. They are great right now for blowouts. I do go back and forth between cloth and disposables so I don't necessarily favor one over the other. They both have their pros and cons. The info out there is overwhelming! If you want the basics w/o the research let me know.

    Oh, and check your local craigslist for double strollers. I get a lot of baby gear that way. I recommend Maclaren, Baby Jogger City Mini Double or Phil and Teds depending on your budget. Just don't get a tandem, they're very hard to push.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hannah's GreatGrandmother, GaGa, sewed almost all our shirts and skirts. We had new outfits for Christmas & Easter made by Mother. I remember most our 'poodle' skirts! We learned to sew from her. When I started workin, my 1st tax refund was used to buy that SINGER sew machine! I was so proud of it. MIL's suggestion is a good one~Go4IT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How is the sewing hobby coming along???

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! It makes my day if you leave comments. So if you've read, then please let me know your thoughts. You've made my day!